Kaetlin Perna (July 22, 1984 - Present)
Kaetlin was born in the cold, steely labor room of Rochester General Hospital, one warm, sunny early afternoon in July. Born of her two thirty something parents, and the youngest of five children, young Kaetlin was taught at an early age to entertain herself, as no one would do it for her. She expanded into her imagination creating friends such as Gocko, her imaginary twin brother, and playing with matchbox cars under the porch of her Henrietta, NY house.
Soon after her fifth birthday, her parents went their separate ways as did much of her older family members, and Kaetlin sunk deeper into her imagination and creativity, soon becoming an outcast even to herself, as she bounced around from school to school. Writing concertos and liberettos, mastering the violin and the melodic instruments of the percussive section, Kaetlin gifted herself in music and theory, but quickly gave it up when she realized the drama and disappointment of the Rush Henrietta Senior High School music wing habitants, turning her attentions to theatre, film and writing, at just fourteen years old. Here is where the genius was found, as she didn't realize, while studying music, that it was something she was kind of good at.
Eight years later, she's written crap and masterpieces alike.
- The Year of the Kaet
- A collective zine of columns, correspondences and other random crap.
- Issue One: Confessions of a Bohemian Sellout
- Issue Two: I'm not a comedian, damn it!
(May 2006 - Present)
- A weekly column of musings of a record store, the bathroom and the underground artistries of the neo-cultural movement in society.
(January 2007 - Present)
- I chose to use Polaroid film as a medium because life is full of instant moments, either ones happening before you or ones you create. In the instantaneity in the moment, I only got one chance to take the Polaroid and if I missed it, it was gone, like a moment. I could not retake a photo for that day, and I limited myself to the twenty four hours of that day. I liked the exposure of the Polaroid in comparison to 35mm and digital. I categorized the photos into months and I didn't know what would come out of taking one Polaroid everyday for one year. Looking at all these pictures together shows me where I've gone in my life and all the people I've met, the faces and moments actualized by one click of the camera.
- Open Mic Tour
- A collected photo documentary of a four day tour of New York City poetry open mics in September. (In post-production.)
- The Depressive Diaries of Kaetlin Perna
(October 2006 - February 2007)
- A creative non-fiction webseries of Kaetlin and her depressive tendencies.
- Episode One: Kaetlin is a writer.
- Episode Two: Kaetlin likes a lot of tv.
- Episode Three: Kaetlin hates wet feet.
- Episode Four: Kaetlin likes scary things. (written by Melissa Garner)
- Episode Five:
- Episode Six: (written by Jason Quackenbush)
- Episode Seven:
- Episode Eight: Kaetlin has high hopes.
email kaetsoleil at gmail dot com