San Diego-born Adam Gnade writes songs and books that share characters and plots.
He says, "I've tried to keep the books and songs separate in the past but it didn't work. The only way I could pull off doing both was to integrate them as much as possible, immerse the songs in the books and the books in the songs. One reviewer said that, in the process, 'it's created its own universe' but I don't know if that's true" (from interview.)
Often lumped into the New Weird America folk music scene, he defines his music as "talking-songs" which he describes as mixing the spoken vocals of talking blues songs with modern psychedelic rock and avant-garde noise or experimental drone influences.
He is also part of the Microcosm Publishing collective.
His debut novel, Hymn California, will be released in April of 2008 on Dutchmoney Books. His self-released novela, Seasons Loving Nothing, was published in October of 2007 and is now in its third printing. Previously-published zines include the monthlies Actress, The Word, and a series of limited-release chapbooks.
In 2005 Gnade signed to the California-based Loud + Clear Records, toured the US, and issued Run Hide Retreat Surrender, his first official release after a series of self-released, limited-run experimental albums (Goodbye Drunken Ghost 2000, Shiv Shiv Shake 2002).
In 2006, he issued a set of limited-run experimental albums (We Are Bones and Ghosts Down Stone Walled Wells and the 2 CD single) expanding on his "talking songs" idea before signing a UK label deal with Drowned in Sound (home to collaborators Youthmovies as well as Metric and Martha Wainwright). Drowned in Sound released Gnade's EP, Shout the Rafters Down! in Nov of 2006, after which he toured Europe in support of the record alongside Oxford, England's Youthmovies and Brighton's Blood Red Shoes.
Recent US and UK radio singles include "Hymn California," "Honey Slides," "Dance to the War," "Room for Three and the Bayou Summer," "Palaces," "Lanterns, Rakes, and Shovels," "We're Unknowing in the Crosshairs," "The Old Lover," "Snake Lore," "It's Five O'Clock in America," and "We Live Nowhere and Know No One."
2007 saw a two-month US tour, a five-week tour of England and Scotland (alongside Youthmovies, Jonquil, House of Brothers, Blanket, and Eugene McGuinness), and the release of Honey Slides, a collaborative EP with Youthmovies on the Try Harder label. (There was also a tour-only novella, entitled Seasons Loving Nothing, that was available on the UK dates.)
Gnade's next musical release is the Palaces/Whidbey Island double-EP, on each side of a 12" record, out in early 2008 on Bad Drone Media. A limited-run double-CD version was issued in September.
DutchMoney Books will release a book version of stories surrounding his albums' characters. Released in February 2008, it will be called Hymn California.
all info from ibdb.com, adamgnade.com, loudandclearrecords.com, myspace.com/gnade, drownedinsound.com, fourpawsmedia.com, dogdaypress.com, pitchforkmedia.com, allmusic.com
- 2 (2006, limited edition, two song CD) ALL PRESSINGS NOW SOLD OUT
- Prince of the Confederacy (2006, split cassette release with Gang Wizard, DeathBombArc)
- Goodbye, Drunken Ghost (2000, self-released cassette EP) ALL PRESSINGS NOW SOLD OUT
- Shiv Shiv Shake (2002, self-released EP) ALL PRESSINGS NOW SOLD OUT
- Shout the Rafters Down! EP (2006, Drowned in Sound Recordings, digital EP)
- Honey Slides EP (collaboration with Youthmovies 2007, Try Harder)
- Palaces/Whidbey Island double-EP (2007, limited edition double-CD, Bad Drone Media)
- "Hymn California" from DiS is 6 (Drowned in Sound sixth anniversary compilation, LP)
- "Room for Three and the Bayou Summer" from We Made This, Portland
- "T'was the Night Before Christmas" (cover) from Another Grey Xmas
- Run Hide Retreat Surrender (2005, Loud + Clear Records)
- We Are Bones and Ghosts Down Stone Walled Wells (2006, limited edition) ALL PRESSINGS NOW SOLD OUT
- Adam Gnade and Ohioan (2006, Native Kin, collaboration with Ohioan, limited edition split) ALL PRESSINGS SOLD OUT
- Wilderness and the Holy Gold (2006, BelowPDX, noise collaboration with Argumentix, limited edition)
- Seasons Loving Nothing (2007, tour-only novella)
- Hymn California (Debut novel, to be released Feb 2008, Dutchmoney Books)
info from wikipedia.org, adequacy.net, allmusic.com, myspace.com/gnade, and adamgnade.com