Abort! is a zine published in New York since 2001 by Jonathan Spies. It lives underwater and looks exactly like the Smurfs except where the Smurfs have floppy white hats it has a snorkel tube coming out of its head, and the gender ratio is somewhat closer to 1:1 than the Smurf village, which is only has one identifying female smurf. Also, no Gargamel. Apart from that, very much like the Smurfs.
Key Abort! Facts by Issue:
- 1: Pubbed: 01/01/01. A print run of less than 20 copies! Featuring existential comics, and part 1 of the comic collaboration "Chinchilla Man" written by Daniel Tuhus-Dubrow.
- 2: Pubbed: 02/01. Accounts of the protests at the inauguration of Bush. Cover features a photo by Rachel-Leah Woliansky of protesters carrying a sign reading: "CTRL + ALT + DEL: ABORT THIS PRESIDENT." Part 2 of the "Chinchilla Man" saga. Print run explodes by 1,000% due to the discovery of an under-supervised copy machine in an NYU building.
- 3: Pubbed: 03//01? Part 1 of article by Joe Piglet about protests in Canada. Print run of ~150: 30 with original cover (crying baby), the rest with variant of the same cover as issue #1, which nobody had seen because nobody ever saw issue #1.
- 4: Pubbed: 05/01? Acclaimed comic about Jonathan's father having a heart-attack after he discovers that Jonathan smokes. First appearance on Maximumrocknroll's top 10 list! Literally dozens and dozens of this issue in print.
- 5: Pubbed: 06 or 07/01. "Understanding New Jersey" issue; one rambling essay/story. Cover drawing of guying puking into a toilet.
and on and on...